Roasted Baby Eggplant Poppers are not only a colorful addition to any dinner plate but also make for an enticing appetizer. These mini eggplants are simple to prepare and even more enjoyable to eat. Trust me, you won’t be able to stop at just one! The best part? This dish is not only full of flavor but also high in fiber and low in calories, making it the perfect choice.
How to Select and Store Baby Eggplant
Baby eggplants, also known as Indian eggplants, are smaller in size, ranging from about 2 to 4 inches long. They have a sweeter taste compared to their larger Italian counterparts and typically have about 8 pieces per pound. When selecting baby eggplants, make sure to choose ones that are unblemished and even in size. This ensures that they cook at the same rate.
If you are roasting a batch of baby eggplants of various sizes, you can remove them from the pan as they finish cooking to prevent any burning. When it comes to storage, you can keep eggplants at room temperature for one or two days. Alternatively, you can store them in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days, loosely wrapped in a plastic bag.
How Big is a Baby Eggplant?
The little eggplants are about the size of a large egg. They are perfect for individual servings and add a delightful touch to any dish.
Where Do I Get Little Eggplants?
If you’re lucky, your local fruit store might have them during the summer and fall seasons. However, if you can’t find them there, you can check out your local specialty food or gourmet shops. Sometimes, Indian grocery stores also stock these mini eggplants.
What You Need to Roast Baby Eggplant
To create these delicious Roasted Baby Eggplant Poppers, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Baby eggplants
- Olive oil
Roasting Small Eggplants
To ensure your roasted baby eggplants turn out perfectly, follow these steps:
- Wash each eggplant thoroughly, paying close attention to the area around the stem to remove any debris.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a baking pan with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise and place them on the sheet pan with the cut side up. Scatter garlic around the eggplants.
- Brush the flesh of each eggplant and the garlic with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Turn the eggplants face down on the pan.
- Roast the eggplants for 25-35 minutes or until they are tender throughout.
- Once roasted, scatter fresh herbs over the top. Serve them hot or at room temperature with lemon wedges and additional fresh herbs.
How to Prepare Garlic For Roasting
Adding cloves of fresh garlic to your roasted vegetables enhances their sweetness and adds brightness to any dish. Here are two ways to prepare the garlic:
- Scatter the unpeeled cloves around the eggplants. Once roasted, the cloves will easily slip out of their skins.
- Peel each clove by placing them on a flat surface and pressing down on each one with the side of a large chef’s knife. The skins will come off effortlessly. Make sure to slice off the woody stems of each clove with a paring knife.
TOP TIP: When roasting the eggplants, make sure to place them cut side down to achieve a beautiful golden-brown flesh.
If you’re looking to explore different serving options for your Roasted Baby Eggplant Poppers, why not try our new recipe for Baby Eggplant Parmigiana? It’s a fun and cheesy delight! For a complete meal, these little eggplants pair well with steak, chicken, fish, and salads. Here are a few recipe suggestions to get you started:
- Pan Fried Yellowtail Snapper
- Lemon Basil Roasted Chicken
- Florida Keys Blackened Swordfish
- Air Fryer Snapper with Cauliflower Recipes
- Pan Seared Chicken Breasts
- Sauteed Skirt Steak
Roasted Baby Eggplant Poppers are incredibly easy to make. Once you’ve mastered this technique, you can roast all your favorite vegetables. For more delightful roasted vegetable recipes, be sure to check out our Vegetable Recipes archives.
For any additional questions you may have about Roasted Baby Eggplant Poppers, we’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions to provide you with all the essential information.
Now that you have all the necessary details and tips, it’s time to try your hand at making these delicious Roasted Baby Eggplant Poppers. Enjoy!