Are you dreaming of exploring the ancient ruins of Angkor Wat or immersing yourself in the vibrant Khmer culture? Cambodia offers a captivating travel experience that shouldn’t be missed. To make the most of your trip, it’s important to plan your visit during the right time of year. In this article, we’ll guide you through the best time to visit Cambodia and help you create unforgettable memories. Let’s dive in!
Dry Season in Cambodia — October to April
Get lost in time at the ancient ruins of Angkor Wat.
The dry season, from October to April, is the peak time to visit Cambodia. During these months, the weather is dry and temperatures start to cool off, creating a more pleasant environment for exploration. However, do keep in mind that popular attractions like Tonle Sap Lake, Ta Phrom Temple, and areas around Phnom Penh tend to be crowded and busy.
Average temperature: 22°C (72°F) to 32°C (90°F)
Average rainfall: 60 mm
Is the dry season a good time to go to Cambodia? Yes, it is. The dry season offers the best weather for exploring the entire country.
- The roads to more remote locations, such as Ratnakiri, Mondulkiri, and Bamboo Island, open up after the rains.
- Festivals like Pchum Ben, which honors the departed, provide a unique taste of Khmer culture. You could even visit Tonle Sap Lake for the Cambodian Water Festival.
- Book major excursions, especially an Angkor Wat tour, well in advance, as this is the busiest time to visit Cambodia.
- Enjoy the sun, sea, and sand on the beautiful island of Koh Rong. Don’t miss the chance to snorkel in the crystal-clear waters, settled after the monsoon season.
- Take a boat tour down the Mekong River, which will be higher at the start of winter due to the monsoon rains.
- Pack for all weather eventualities, as there is still a chance of heavy rain, especially in early October.
For more detailed month-wise guides on visiting Cambodia, check out our comprehensive Cambodia travel guide.
Wet Season in Cambodia — May to September
Witness the lush green landscapes as May unfolds, showcasing the vibrant beauty of the country and immersing you in a captivating and refreshing experience.
The wet season in Cambodia falls between May and September. Unfortunately, this is probably the least desirable time to visit. Expect daily downpours of rain and humid temperatures. However, the north of Cambodia tends to be drier, allowing for potential travel to places like the Kulen Prum Tep Wildlife Sanctuary if the roads are open.
Average temperature: 24°C (75°F) to 33°C (92°F)
Average rainfall: 212 mm
Is the wet season a good time to go to Cambodia? No, it isn’t. It’s the wettest and hottest time to visit Cambodia.
- Siem Reap’s temple complexes are best explored during this period, as you can walk the distance without getting tired.
- The water levels at Tonle Sap are high, offering a great opportunity for river adventures and exploring Cambodia’s unexplored sides.
- Summer is also the perfect time to visit breathtaking beaches like Kep and Sihanoukville on the southern coast, where gentle waters and silky sands await.
- Plan indoor excursions, such as a visit to the Silver Pagoda in Phnom Penh, to wait out the heaviest rain.
- Check for any cross-country travel in advance, as heavy rains can lead to road closures due to flooding or mudslides.
- Pack breathable sportswear suitable for the hot, humid, and wet weather. Quick-drying clothing is essential.
To learn more about visiting Cambodia during specific months, refer to our comprehensive Cambodia travel guide.
The Best Time to Visit Cambodia
So, when is the best time to visit Cambodia? For the best weather and a comfortable travel experience, the winter months, from October to April, are ideal. However, if you avoid the wet season from May to September, you can find great deals during the shoulder seasons between wet and dry.
For more information and to plan your Cambodia itinerary, visit Ekilove. Our travel experts are ready to help you create a tailored and unforgettable trip to the captivating Kingdom of Cambodia.
Need Help Planning a Trip to Cambodia?
Not sure how long you should spend in Cambodia on your upcoming trip? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with our complete guide. If you need assistance putting together your Cambodia itinerary, our travel experts are here to help create customizable trips to Cambodia. Get in touch today!