This air fryer tofu recipe is the easiest and most delicious way to enjoy crispy and flavorful tofu at home. Whether you’re adding it to a grain bowl or stir fry, this plant-based protein will elevate your dish to a whole new level.
Air Fryer Tofu Recipe Ingredients
To make this mouthwatering air fryer tofu, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Tofu: Choose extra-firm tofu for the perfect texture and crispiness.
- Tamari and sriracha: Infuse the tofu with savory and spicy flavors. If you’re not gluten-free, soy sauce can be used as a substitute for tamari.
- Avocado oil: Adds richness and helps the tofu crisp up in the air fryer.
- Cornstarch: Creates a delightful crispy coating around the tofu.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Do I Need a Tofu Press?
If you want to achieve the crispiest and crunchiest air fryer tofu, I highly recommend pressing your tofu before cooking. While this step adds some extra time to the recipe, the results are absolutely worth it. Pressing the tofu removes excess water, resulting in an extra-firm and crisp texture.
While there are alternative methods like using a cast-iron skillet or a stack of books to press tofu, investing in a tofu press is highly recommended, especially if you cook tofu frequently. One great option is the Tofuture Tofu Press, known for its ease of use and ability to give tofu a chewy texture. Additionally, this press conveniently captures the excess water, making cleanup a breeze.
You can find the Tofuture Tofu Press on Amazon for $25.95. If you want to explore other tofu press options, check out my guide to the best tofu presses here.
If you prefer not to press your tofu, there are a couple of alternatives to consider:
- Choose a “Super-Firm” or “High-Protein” kind of tofu instead of extra-firm tofu. These types of tofu are denser and crisp up fairly well without pressing.
- Plan ahead by freezing extra-firm tofu a few days (or even months) in advance. Thaw the tofu in the microwave or fridge, and as it defrosts, it will release excess moisture, almost as if it had been pressed. Simply pat it dry and proceed with the recipe!
How to Make Air Fryer Tofu
Once your tofu is pressed, this recipe becomes incredibly simple.
First, season the tofu. Cut it into cubes, and toss them with avocado oil, tamari, sriracha, and a sprinkle of cornstarch for that perfect crunch.
Then, it’s time to cook! Arrange the tofu cubes in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring there’s enough space around each cube for proper crisping. If the cubes are too crowded, they won’t achieve the desired texture. You can work in batches if necessary.
Air fry at 400°F for 11-15 minutes, tossing halfway through to ensure even cooking on all sides. The tofu is ready when it’s beautifully crisp and browned around the edges. Keep an eye on it during the last few minutes of cooking, as cooking times may vary depending on your specific air fryer. That’s all there is to it!
This crispy and flavorful air fryer tofu is fantastic in a variety of dishes. Add it to a stir fry or grain bowl to enjoy its deliciousness. Here are a few serving suggestions to get you started:
- Kimchi Brown Rice Bliss Bowls: Use air fried tofu instead of grilled tempeh.
- Cauliflower Rice Kimchi Bowls, Cashew Broccoli Soba Noodles, or Sesame Noodle Bowl: Substitute the baked tofu with air fried tofu.
- Veggie Power Bowl: Replace the soft-boiled egg with this delightful tofu.
- Adzuki Bean Bowls: Use air fried tofu as a great alternative to adzuki beans.
- Sesame Soba Noodles: Add air fried tofu for an extra protein boost!
How do you like to serve air fryer tofu? Let me know in the comments!
More Favorite Air Fryer Recipes
If you can’t get enough of this air fryer tofu recipe, here are a few more delicious air fryer recipes to try:
- Crispy Sesame Tofu
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Zucchini Chips
- Air Fryer Eggplant
- Onion Rings
- Avocado Fries
- Air Fryer French Fries
Remember, when it comes to cooking tofu, the air fryer is your secret weapon for achieving the perfect balance of crispiness and flavor. Enjoy!