Are you craving a juicy and tender chicken breast packed with bold flavors? Look no further than this mouthwatering Pan Cooked Jerk Chicken Breast recipe. Made with homemade jerk seasoning, this Caribbean delight is not only delicious but also Whole30 compliant. Let’s dive into how you can easily whip up this delightful dish for your next weeknight meal.
Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breast
Jerk chicken is an incredibly versatile dish, enjoyed in various ways throughout the year. Whether you’re grilling in the summer or baking in the winter, jerk chicken always hits the spot. Today, we’ll be making jerk chicken breast on the stovetop in a frying pan.
Why You’ll Love This Jerk Chicken Breast Recipe
- Quick: Marinate the chicken in as little as 30 minutes, and it takes just 15 minutes to cook the chicken breast, making it a perfect weeknight meal option.
- Flavorful: Say goodbye to bland chicken with this recipe. The homemade jerk seasoning is a combination of spicy, smoky, subtly sweet notes that create a mouthwatering depth of flavor.
- Versatile: This classic Caribbean dish can be served in various ways. Enjoy it with rice, plantains, or steamed veggies. Alternatively, you can add it to a burrito, sandwich, or salad for a delightful twist.
What is jerk?
Jerk is a popular cooking style originating from Jamaica in the Caribbean. It involves marinating meat, usually chicken or pork, in a flavorful and spicy blend of ingredients, then grilling or smoking it. The star component of Caribbean jerk seasoning is the “jerk spice,” which gives the dish its distinctive taste.
Jerk spice typically includes ingredients such as allspice (also known as pimento), scotch bonnet peppers, thyme, garlic, onions, cinnamon, and nutmeg. These ingredients are skillfully blended together to create a spicy, aromatic, and complex seasoning mixture.
The marinated meat is usually grilled or smoked over wood charcoal, adding a delightful smoky flavor to the dish. The result is a flavorful, spicy, and slightly smoky culinary masterpiece.
Ingredients for Jerk Chicken Breast
To prepare this succulent chicken breast, gather the following ingredients:
- Whole chicken breasts: This lean cut of meat ensures a healthier option.
- Jerk Seasoning: A homemade marinade that penetrates the chicken, infusing it with moisture and incredible flavor.
- Salt: Just a pinch to taste.
- Olive oil: Perfect for searing the chicken.
For quantities, refer to the recipe card below.
How to Make Jerk Chicken Breast
Seasoning the chicken breasts is crucial for this dish. Begin by cutting a slit into the side of each breast and filling it with one tablespoon of the jerk seasoning. Next, rub an additional two tablespoons of the seasoning over the outside of the chicken breasts. Wrap the breasts tightly in plastic wrap and allow them to marinate overnight. If you’re short on time, marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Cook on the Stovetop
Remove the chicken breasts from the refrigerator approximately 30 minutes before cooking, allowing them to come to room temperature. Preheat a pan on medium heat and sear the chicken breasts until they are nicely browned. Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and let the chicken breasts cook until they are cooked through.
Let Chicken Rest
Once cooked, it’s essential to let the chicken breasts rest outside the pan. Allowing the juices to settle prevents the chicken from drying out and ensures a juicy and flavorful result.
What to Serve with Jerk Chicken Breast
This delectable chicken breast can be enjoyed in various ways. You can add it to salads or use it as the main protein in your favorite dish. One delightful option is to serve it over a bed of mixed romaine, accompanied by sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and baby bell peppers. Drizzle some Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic Dressing to elevate the flavors. It’s the perfect, hassle-free lunch option.
Store any leftovers of this flavorful dish in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Reheat the leftovers in the microwave or air fryer until warmed through.
Tips for the Best Jerk Chicken Breast
- Taste your marinade: Adjust the seasonings according to your preference. Make sure to taste the marinade before using it to ensure it suits your palate.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes: This allows enough time for the flavors to penetrate the chicken breasts, creating a delightful taste.
- Let the chicken rest: Allowing the chicken to rest for a few minutes after cooking redistributes the juices, keeping the meat moist and flavorful.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is special about jerk chicken?
Nothing compares to the unique taste of jerk chicken. The combination of fresh herbs, spices, and scotch bonnet peppers creates a bold, spicy, sweet, and warm flavor profile that is truly exceptional.
How do you marinate chicken with jerk seasoning?
To marinate the chicken with jerk seasoning, follow these steps:
- Cut a slit into the side of each chicken breast.
- Fill the slits with one tablespoon of jerk seasoning.
- Rub an additional two tablespoons of jerk seasoning on the outside of the chicken breasts.
- Wrap the chicken breasts with plastic wrap and let them marinate overnight. If time is limited, marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Is jerk chicken healthy?
Jerk chicken breasts are a lean source of protein. When you prepare this recipe at home, you have control over the jerk marinade’s ingredients, allowing you to make healthier choices such as omitting sugar or reducing the salt content.
Enjoy the flavors of the Caribbean with this delectable Pan Cooked Jerk Chicken Breast recipe. For more mouthwatering recipes and culinary inspiration, visit Ekilove. Happy cooking!