Bag roasted chicken is a fantastic way to prepare a succulent whole chicken with minimal effort. The chicken is perfectly seasoned with a special blend of spices, resulting in maximum flavor. This easy recipe will quickly become your go-to method for roasting a whole chicken!
An Easy and Beginner-Friendly Recipe
This beginner-friendly recipe is perfect for anyone who wants to enjoy a delicious roasted chicken without the hassle. With only three simple ingredients, you can create a mouthwatering dish that the whole family will love.
Oven bags are the secret to making this recipe a breeze. Not only do they speed up the cooking time, but they also make clean-up a snap. This fool-proof recipe is perfect for a quick and easy family dinner any day of the week.
This bag roasted chicken is a fool-proof delicious dinner!
Bag Roasted Chicken Ingredients
This simple recipe only requires three ingredients. While I recommend using my homemade chicken seasoning blend, you can also use your favorite store-bought brand.
- Chicken: A 4-5 pound whole chicken.
- Butter: 2 tablespoons of softened butter.
- Chicken Seasoning: 1 tablespoon of chicken seasoning. You can use my recipe or your preferred brand.
Be sure to check the free printable recipe card below for exact amounts and instructions with tips!
Equipment Needed To Make Bag Roasted Chicken
The key item you’ll need for this recipe is an oven-roasting bag, which you can easily find at any grocery store or supermarket. Additionally, you’ll need a roasting pan to hold everything in place. To ensure your chicken is perfectly cooked, a meat thermometer is a must.
How To Make Bag Roasted Chicken
This recipe is incredibly hands-off thanks to the use of a roasting bag. It’s ridiculously simple, making it perfect for busy weeknights or lazy Sundays. The number of servings will depend on the weight of your chicken and everyone’s appetite. For a 4-pound chicken, expect about 4 servings.
- Preheat the oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare the chicken: Pat your 4-pound whole chicken dry with paper towels. Rub 2 tablespoons of butter over every part of the chicken, then sprinkle it with 1 tablespoon of chicken seasoning.
- Place the chicken into the bag: Lift the seasoned chicken by picking it up by the body cavity and slide it into the opened roasting bag. Seal the bag with the ties included in the packaging.
- Bake: Place the bagged chicken in the preheated oven and bake at 350°F (175°C) for approximately 20 minutes per pound. The chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Rest: Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving and serving.
This delicious roasted chicken is perfect for dinner. Serve it alongside mashed sweet potatoes and air-fried zucchini for a complete and satisfying meal. Enjoy!
Angela’s Tips & Recipe Notes
Here are a few tips and notes to ensure your bag roasted chicken turns out perfectly:
- Cooking times can vary based on whether your chicken was allowed to warm slightly at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- If your chicken was frozen, make sure it has fully thawed before getting started.
- The packaging for the roasting bag suggests adding flour to coat the inside, but since we’re using butter, it isn’t necessary.
Storing & Reheating
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. If you want to freeze the chicken, tightly wrap it and place it in a freezer bag. Thaw it in the fridge overnight before reheating.
To reheat the bag roasted chicken, place the leftovers in a baking dish and add some water or broth. Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350°F (180°C) until heated through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do You Put Holes In Oven Bags? The packaging instructions for oven bags may vary. However, for this chicken recipe, there’s no need to put any holes in the bag.
Why Did My Oven Bag Melt? While oven bags are made of heat-safe material, avoid placing them directly on the oven grates or allowing them to touch the heating elements. Always place the bagged chicken in a roasting pan to prevent melting.
Do Oven Bags Cook Faster? Yes, using a roasting bag actually speeds up the cooking time. The bags allow heat to circulate around the chicken, retaining moisture and reducing cooking time.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
Looking for more chicken recipes to enjoy? Here are a few mouthwatering options:
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks: Quick and easy chicken drumsticks made in the Instant Pot.
- Roasted Sasso Chicken: Try this extra tender and juicy sasso chicken recipe.
- Marry Me Chicken: A one-pan meal featuring a creamy Parmesan and sun-dried tomato sauce.
- Baked Chicken Wings: Tasty and flavorful wings baked to perfection.
- Instant Pot Mongolian Chicken: A homemade version of the tasty takeout favorite in just 20 minutes.
- Chicken Manchurian: Crispy fried chicken in a spicy, sweet, and tangy sauce.
For the full recipe with detailed instructions, check out the Bag Roasted Chicken Recipe.