Mahi Mahi, also known as Dorado, is a fish that is loved by many for its tender and flavorful meat. Pair it with a delectable lemon garlic butter sauce, and you have a sensational dish that will leave you craving for more.
Restaurant Quality Fish at Home
Growing up, my family would often serve fish for dinner. From whole fish to fish fillets, my parents would cook them using various methods. It wasn’t until later that I realized not everyone appreciated fish as much as I do. Perhaps they just haven’t found the perfect fish recipe yet 😉
While there are countless ways to prepare delicious fish, this easy mahi mahi recipe is a winner. It only takes about 20 minutes to make, and the result is a super tender and incredibly tasty dish. Many people are amazed that they can recreate a restaurant-quality mahi mahi at home, and you can too.
What is Mahi Mahi?
Mahi Mahi, also known as dolphinfish or dorado, is a surface-dwelling fish commonly found near the Gulf of Mexico, Costa Rica, Hawaii, and the Indian Ocean. Despite its name, it is not related to dolphins. Mahi Mahi is sought after for its mild flavor and firm yet moist flesh, making it a favorite ingredient in restaurants worldwide.
- Olive Oil: For the best flavor and a healthy boost.
- Mahi Mahi: Look for fish fillets that are 1-inch thick and approximately 4oz per fillet.
- Garlic: Plenty of freshly minced garlic for that extra flavor.
- Lemon: Freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest for a tangy kick.
- Butter: Use salted pure butter for richness.
- Herbs: Choose from freshly chopped chives, parsley, or both for added freshness.
- Prepare the Lemon Garlic Mixture (can be made ahead) – Combine all the Lemon Garlic Mixture ingredients in a small pan and stir to fully combine. Keep it warm.
- Pat-dry the fish fillets with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large oven-proof pan over high heat. Once hot, add the fish fillets and let them cook until browned on one side (about 3 minutes). Carefully flip the fillets and transfer the pan to a preheated oven.
- Roast the fish at 400F for approximately 5 minutes or until the top is golden and the center is just cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and pour the warm lemon butter sauce over the cooked fish.
For the complete list of ingredients and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card below.
Pro Tips for Success
Here are some helpful tips to ensure your mahi mahi turns out perfectly:
- Choose super fresh or quick-frozen high-quality mahi mahi for the best flavor.
- Use fillets that are at least 1-inch thick to prevent overcooking.
- Pat dry the fish thoroughly to ensure a nice brown crust.
- Heat your cooking oil until it’s sizzling hot before adding the fish to achieve quick and even browning.
- Avoid moving the fish around too much while cooking to allow it to brown properly.
- Preheat your oven beforehand to ensure a seamless transition from stovetop to oven.
- Prepare the sauce ahead of time and warm it up when you’re ready to serve.
What to Serve with Mahi Mahi
This mahi mahi recipe is perfect for both quick weeknight dinners and small dinner parties. It pairs well with various sides, such as:
- Perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice: A healthy and easy-to-make option.
- Instant Pot Jasmine Rice: Fluffy and versatile, perfect for drizzling with warm butter.
- Wild Rice Pilaf: A robust and flavorful choice.
- Easy Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms: A fantastic skillet easy rice dish.
- 20-Minute Lemon Spinach Orzo Salad: A refreshing and green side dish.
- Best Easy Roasted Vegetables Recipe: A flavorful combination that complements the fish.
- 21 Best Salad Recipes: Get your dose of vegetables with these amazing salads.
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes with Lemon: Perfectly roasted potatoes with a delicious garlic twist.
- Instant Pot Baby Potatoes: Tender and flavorful potatoes.
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (5 Ingredients): A quick and easy mashed potato recipe.
*This recipe is part of our easy fish recipes collection.
Remember, if you want to recreate this mouthwatering mahi mahi dish, all you need is a little time and the right ingredients. So why not give it a try? You’ll be amazed at what you can achieve in your own kitchen. For more delicious recipes and inspiration, visit Ekilove. Happy cooking!