If you’re a fan of COSTCO like me, you know it’s the ultimate one-stop-shop for all your needs. From everyday items like diapers and Advil to unique finds like Disney character books and jewelry, COSTCO has it all. But did you know that they also offer a convenient and delightful meal option – the street taco kit?
About a year ago, while browsing the aisles, I stumbled upon the platters of street taco kits in the cooler section. Captivated by the promise of an easy and tasty meal, I couldn’t resist. After trying it out, I knew I had found something special. The kit comes fully loaded with pre-seasoned and precooked chicken, crisp cabbage slaw, shredded cheese, tangy limes, soft corn tortillas, and heavenly salsa and cilantro-lime crema. It’s more than enough to satisfy your hunger and even leaves leftovers!
But here’s the kicker: the kit doesn’t come with any instructions! Don’t worry; I’ve got you covered. After some trial and error, I’ve crafted foolproof steps to ensure you make the most out of your COSTCO street taco kit.
Gather Your Tools and Ingredients
Before diving in, let’s make sure you have everything you need:
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of water or chicken stock
- A skillet with a lid or aluminum foil for reheating the chicken
- Another skillet to toast the tortillas
- A medium-sized bowl for the slaw
- Tongs for handling the chicken and flipping the tortillas
- A large spoon for mixing
Now that you’re prepared, let’s get cooking!
- Place both skillets on your stove burners and set them to medium heat.
- In the chicken skillet, add a tablespoon of oil and let it heat up for a minute or two.
- In the tortilla skillet, leave it dry for now. Toast the tortillas one at a time until they puff up and get a little toasty. Flip them over and repeat on the other side. Each tortilla should take no more than 20-30 seconds per side. Don’t worry if you accidentally overcook a couple; it adds flavor!
- In the heated chicken skillet, stir the chicken around for 2-3 minutes. You’ll hear it sizzle, smell the aromatic spices, and see some crispier bits forming.
- Add the 1/2 cup of stock or water to the chicken skillet, then cover it with the lid or foil. Let it steam for 3 minutes, allowing the moisture to penetrate the meat.
- Remove the cover and stir the chicken occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated. This should only take a few extra minutes.
- For easy serving, toss the shredded slaw with the provided crema (and salsa if you’re feeling adventurous) before assembling the tacos. This ensures the flavors meld together and prevents someone from hogging all the salsa.
- On a toasted tortilla, layer some of the flavorful chicken, a sprinkle of cheese, a generous scoop of slaw, and a squeeze of lime.
- Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy your mouthwatering street tacos! For the full experience, pair them with a refreshing cold beer.
You’ve successfully transformed your COSTCO street taco kit into a delicious homemade feast! Relish every bite and savor the flavors that costco has to offer.
The kit on its own
Cook the chicken in oil first
Looks pretty similar after you remove the cover, but you’ll notice a difference in moisture and texture
Toast the tortillas as you go
Toss the shredded cabbage with the crema (and salsa, if everyone’s cool with that)
For more exciting recipes and unique finds, visit Ekilove. Enjoy your tasty street tacos, brought to you by COSTCO and your culinary skills!