Air fryer rainbow trout is a delightful dish that can be cooked to perfection in less than 15 minutes. This easy recipe combines whole trout with a vibrant blend of garlic, parsley, and lemon, resulting in moist and flaky fish that requires minimal effort. If you’re looking for a quick and delicious dinner option any night of the week, then this practically foolproof recipe is for you!
Preparing whole fish may seem intimidating, but it actually makes the cooking process less complicated. Individual fillets can easily become overcooked, but whole fish is heartier and less temperamental. So, trust me when I say that seafood recipes don’t get any easier than this air fryer rainbow trout recipe with whole fish. With just a handful of ingredients and no batter or heavy breading needed, you can create a flavorful and healthy meal.
Air fried rainbow trout has a similar texture and flavor to salmon, making it a great choice for pairing with similar side dishes. While it has a delicate white flesh instead of the signature salmon pink, trout is also a healthy fish that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
Easy, delicious, and healthy – what’s not to love about air fried trout?
- Rainbow trout (fresh and whole, approximately 1 lb)
- Salt and black pepper (freshly ground for maximum flavor)
- Cloves of garlic (peeled and smashed)
- Fresh parsley (or cilantro)
- Lemon (sliced thin)
How to Make Air Fryer Rainbow Trout
- Start by cleaning the fish, removing the scales and guts. Rinse it with cold running water and it’s ready to be seasoned.
- Smash the garlic cloves on a cutting board and place them inside the fish cavity, along with the parsley (or cilantro) and lemon slices. Season the fish well with salt and pepper both inside and outside. You can also squeeze some lemon juice on top of the fish before adding the seasonings.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil spray (olive oil spray works well). If you don’t have spray, you can use a brush to apply the oil. Place the fish on top and put the air fryer basket back into the air fryer.
- Cook for about 11 minutes, adjusting the cooking time based on the size of your rainbow trout. For a 1-pound fish, 11 minutes should be sufficient for it to cook all the way through.
- If unsure, check the internal temperature of the cooked fish. It should be at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit for fully cooked fish.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket to allow hot air to circulate properly.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste. You can add cayenne or Cajun seasoning for a spicier flavor.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat them in the microwave or air fryer.
What Kind of Fish is Trout?
Rainbow trout is a freshwater white fish native to North American rivers, streams, and lakes. Sometimes, rainbow trout will migrate to oceans, similar to salmon, and they are then known as steelhead trout or salmon. While their taste remains essentially the same, their shape becomes more streamlined in saltwater. Whether sourced from streams, the ocean, or sustainably farmed, trout is rich in healthy fats and nutrients.
What Does Rainbow Trout Taste Like?
Air-fried rainbow trout is delicious and decadent-tasting, yet it remains a light dish. The flavor of rainbow trout is mild, and the flesh is soft and flakes beautifully when cooked properly. Even those who aren’t fans of fish that “tastes like fish” tend to love this recipe. Its slightly sweet and meaty flavor pairs perfectly with fresh herbs and lemon. Due to its lightness, air fryer rainbow trout can be served with a variety of side dishes.
Where to Buy
Rainbow trout can typically be found at grocery stores with seafood departments. While fillets are often prepackaged and sold in the freezer section, whole trout (unfrozen or previously frozen) can be found at the fresh fish counter.
Frequently Asked Questions
I like to serve cooked white fish with plain white rice or a simple garden salad. Just chop romaine lettuce (or use spinach or arugula), add cherry tomatoes, sliced onions, and cucumbers. Drizzle some olive oil mixed with balsamic vinegar, and enjoy!
Store leftover rainbow trout in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer or microwave for 1 minute.
More Seafood Recipes
- Bluefish Recipe
- Air Fryer Frozen Coconut Shrimp
- Air Fryer Branzino
- Sea Bream Recipe
- Grouper Recipe
- Air Fryer Crab Sticks
- Plaice Recipe
- Tilefish Recipe
Hope you enjoy this air fryer rainbow trout recipe as much as we do. Please rate the recipe if you try it and leave a comment below if you have any questions or suggestions.
For more great recipes and cooking inspiration, visit Ekilove.