Learn how to cook steak in the oven like a pro and impress your friends and family with a delicious, caramelized, juicy and tender steak in just 20 minutes! Say goodbye to the traditional grilling method and discover the secrets to achieving a mouthwatering steak that will leave everyone craving for more.
The Perfect Meal for Special Occasions
Steak is a timeless classic that never fails to bring joy to the table, especially on special occasions. The anticipation builds as the heavenly aroma of a perfectly cooked steak fills the air. Pair it with a baked potato or mashed potatoes and some green beans, and you have a complete and hearty meal that will satisfy even the most discerning palates.
If you’ve never tried cooking steak in the oven before, you’re in for a treat! The secret lies in searing the steak on the stove first, which creates a deliciously caramelized, crisp outside, and then finishing it off in the oven, resulting in a tender and juicy inside. It’s a foolproof method that guarantees exceptional results every time.
To achieve steak perfection, you’ll need the following key ingredients:
- Steak: While there are many cuts of beef to choose from, I recommend using a ribeye or top sirloin steak for this recipe. If you want to spoil yourself, go for the filet mignon, which is a personal favorite.
- Olive oil: Choose a good quality extra-virgin olive oil for maximum flavor.
- Salt and pepper: These basic seasonings bring out the natural flavors of the steak.
- Garlic herb butter: Elevate your steak with a delicious slab of garlic herb butter.
Easy Steps to Cooking Steak in the Oven
Follow these simple steps to achieve steak perfection:
- Let the steak sit: Allow the steaks to reach room temperature for about 15 to 30 minutes. Trim any excess fat for an optimal cooking experience.
- Heat things up: Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C) and place a large oven-safe skillet inside while it heats up. Once the oven is hot, remove the skillet and place it over high heat on the stove.
- Season to perfection: Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel, then rub them with oil and generously season with sea salt (or kosher salt) and pepper. Feel free to use your favorite steak rub for added flavor.
- Sear it to perfection: When the skillet is very hot, carefully place the steaks in the pan and sear each side for 1 minute.
- Bake to perfection: Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 4-6 minutes on one side. Flip the steaks and cook for an additional 4-6 minutes on the other side. Remember to remove the meat 5° before it reaches the desired temperature for optimal doneness.
- Let it rest: Remove the skillet from the oven and let the steaks rest for 5 minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in a tender and juicy steak. For an extra burst of flavor, top each steak with a slab of herb butter and fresh herbs.
How to Determine Steak Doneness
To ensure your steak is cooked to perfection, here are some benchmarks for each level of doneness:
- Rare: Sear the steak on the stove, then bake for about 4-6 minutes in the oven until the temperature reaches around 125°F (52°C). The color should be a beautiful shade of red.
- Medium-Rare: Sear the steak on the stove, then bake for about 6-8 minutes in the oven until the temperature reaches 130°F (54°C). The color should be a deep pink.
- Medium: Sear the steak on the stove, then bake for about 8-10 minutes in the oven until the temperature reaches around 140°F (60°C). The color should be a light pink.
- Medium-Well: Sear the steak on the stove, then bake for about 10-12 minutes in the oven until the temperature reaches around 150°F (65°C). The center may have a slight pink hue.
- Well-Done: Sear the steak on the stove, then bake for about 12-14 minutes in the oven until the temperature reaches 160°F (71°C) or higher. The steak will have little to no pink.
Remember, cooking times may vary depending on your oven, so keep an eye on your steak and use a meat thermometer to ensure the perfect level of doneness.
Pro Tips for Steak Perfection
Here are some expert tips to elevate your steak cooking game:
- Choose quality meat: There are three different types of meat: Select, Choice, and Prime. While Choice meat is a great option, aim for Prime for unparalleled flavor.
- Use a cast iron skillet: While any oven-safe skillet will work, a cast iron skillet is highly recommended. It distributes heat evenly and creates the perfect crust on the meat.
- Don’t be shy with seasoning: Generously season your steak with salt and pepper, or your favorite steak rub. Some of the seasoning may come off during cooking, so you want to ensure the meat is well-flavored.
- Keep it tender: Bring the meat to room temperature before cooking to ensure even cooking and reduce the risk of overcooking. Additionally, season the steak with salt to draw out moisture, tenderize the meat, and enhance its natural flavors.
- Let it rest: Allow the steak to rest for 5 to 10 minutes after removing it from the oven. This allows the juices to reabsorb, resulting in a moist and flavorful steak. Add a slab of butter and fresh herbs on top for an extra flavor boost.
Delicious Side Dishes to Complement Your Steak
Pair your perfectly cooked steak with these mouthwatering side dishes:
- Garlic mashed red potatoes
- Oven-roasted vegetables
- Loaded baked potato
- Roasted broccoli
- Glazed carrots
- Roasted red potatoes
- Roasted asparagus
- Roasted potatoes and carrots
- Scalloped potatoes
- Homemade mac and cheese
Explore More Steak Recipes
If you can’t get enough of steak, here are a few more recipes for you to try:
Now, it’s time to put on your apron, fire up the oven, and treat yourself to a mouthwatering steak that will leave everyone impressed. Happy cooking!
[E-E-A-T]: Expertise, Authoritativeness, Trustworthiness, Experience
[YMYL]: Your Money or Your Life