Air Fryer Artichokes are not only a quick and delicious vegetable side dish but also a delightful culinary experience. Unlike the traditional methods of steaming or boiling, air frying artichokes takes less than 10 minutes, making it a convenient option for busy individuals. And the best part? These artichokes taste even better when served with a delectable Garlic Aioli for dipping.
Growing up in California, artichokes were a staple on my family’s dinner table. However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that people from other parts of the country didn’t enjoy artichokes as frequently. Alongside my love for avocados and a refreshing green salad with homemade vinaigrette, artichokes were a new and intriguing addition to my husband’s palate when he moved from the east coast.
While my family always enjoyed steamed artichokes with melted butter or mayonnaise for dipping, these air fryer artichokes have become one of my favorite recipes. The air frying process enhances the flavors and brings out the natural sweetness of the artichokes, resulting in a crispy and flavorful dish.
How to Choose the Best Fresh Artichokes
Artichoke season runs from March through June, making it the perfect time to indulge in this delicious vegetable. During this period, artichokes are at their peak freshness and are more affordable compared to buying them out of season.
When selecting artichokes, look for ones that are heavy for their size and have a deep green color. The leaves should be thick and tightly closed. Depending on your preference, you can choose between large artichokes or small ones. For air-fried artichokes, larger ones are recommended as they provide more meat and substance.
How to Prepare Artichokes
Although fresh artichokes may seem intimidating at first, they are actually quite easy to trim and cook, especially when using an air fryer. The effort is well worth it, as artichoke leaves serve as a perfect vessel for scooping up rich and garlicky garlic aioli.
What Ingredients Do You Need?
To make delicious air-fried artichokes, you will need:
- Whole artichokes
- Extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder (optional)
- Lemon juice and lemon wedges
- Fresh garlic
- Dried dill
How to Prep an Artichoke for Cooking
- Start by trimming the stem end of the artichoke. You can either trim it flush with the base or remove only the very end of the stem.
- Pull off and discard the tough outer leaves.
- Use a sharp knife or serrated knife to cut about ½ inch off the top of the artichoke, removing the thorny leaf tips.
- With kitchen shears, snip off the pointy ends of the remaining outer leaves.
- Cut the artichokes in half using a sharp knife.
- Use a spoon to scrape out the hairy inner choke.
- If desired, tuck a lemon wedge into the center where the choke was.
How to Air Fry Artichokes
For the complete list of ingredients with quantities and detailed preparation and cooking instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the end of this article. However, here are the basics:
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the cut sides of the artichokes.
- Brush the artichoke halves with oil and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (if desired).
- Place the artichoke halves in the air fryer basket, cut side down, and cook at 350°F for 4 minutes. Flip them over and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- While the artichokes are in the air fryer, prepare the aioli by mixing mayonnaise, garlic, pepper, dill, paprika, and lemon juice together.
How to Serve Air Fryer Artichokes
Air-fried artichokes are best enjoyed with the aioli for dipping or paired with melted butter. You can also experiment with a variety of dipping sauces such as Hummus, Raita, Charmoula Sauce, Yogurt and Cilantro Chutney, Harissa Dressing, Tahini Sauce, mayonnaise mixed with Harissa Paste or Zhoug Sauce, or any other sauce that entices your taste buds.
These artichokes make a fantastic side dish when served alongside dishes like Instant Pot Ham, Air Fryer Whole Chicken, Harissa Chicken, Miso Salmon, Air Fryer Salmon, or Kofta Kebabs. And if you’re a fan of air-fried vegetables, be sure to explore recipes like Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts or Air Fryer Corn Elote!
More Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love
If you’re a fan of air frying or are just starting to explore its wonders, here are some more delightful air fryer recipes for you to try:
- Air Fryer Empanadas
- Air Fryer Spring Rolls
- Air Fryer Popcorn
- Air Fryer Broccolini
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Air Fryer Korean Fried Chicken
- Air Fryer Lamb Chops
- Air Fryer Enchiladas
- Air Fryer Fried Ice Cream
- Air Fryer Caramelized Bananas
For even more exciting recipes and culinary inspiration, visit Ekilove, your go-to source for all things cooking and more.
Enjoy the crispy and flavorful goodness of air fryer artichokes, and happy cooking!