When I first came across flat eyelash extensions, I was blown away by their impressive benefits. These lashes are perfect for clients with thinner and more delicate lashes who still desire a dramatic look with added density. In this guide, I aim to share everything I’ve learned about using flat lashes, ensuring you stay up-to-date with innovative products in an ever-evolving industry. So, let’s dive in!
Understanding Flat Eyelash Extensions
Imagine cutting out the top and bottom of a circle, resulting in a concave shape — that’s the structure of a flat lash extension. These lashes are significantly lighter than regular extensions due to their reduced bulk, yet they appear the same width when viewed head-on. Additionally, flat lashes often have a split tip, providing a slightly fluffier look. Initially, I didn’t fully appreciate the split tip, but after using it for my clients, I’ve witnessed the remarkable difference it makes.
Flat Lashes vs. Classic Lashes
Why should you consider using flat eyelash extensions? Let’s explore the pros and cons of flat lashes compared to regular classic lashes:
- Less heavy: Flat lashes can be 40%-75% lighter than classic lashes, depending on the brand. This feature is a game-changer for clients with extremely delicate lashes.
- More dramatic: With flat lashes, you can create thicker, more striking classic sets than you would with regular lash extensions. The continuous look created by the flat base also gives the lashline a darker appearance.
- Easier to apply: The flat base of ellipse lashes adheres more easily to the natural eyelash. However, it’s important to note that flat lashes can only be attached from the top or bottom, unlike classic lashes that offer more attachment options.
- Better retention: Flat lashes have a wider surface area that connects with the natural lash, resulting in slightly better retention compared to classic lash extensions. However, it’s crucial to remember that the main factor affecting refills is the shedding of natural lashes, making this a minor difference.
- Increased inventory cost: While regular lashes can be used for both classic and volume sets, introducing flat lashes requires doubling your inventory. This means carrying flat extensions in all diameters, lengths, and curls, resulting in additional costs.
Choosing the Right Flat Eyelash Extensions
When selecting the best flat lash extension for a client, I follow the same principles as when choosing regular lashes. Here’s a summary:
- Length: Extend the lash length by approximately 2 mm. For example, if a client has a 10 mm natural eyelash, a corresponding 11 mm flat extension is suitable, ensuring 1 mm of space at the base of the eyelash (the extension never touches the skin).
- Curl: Choose the curl based on the desired style, such as a cat-eye, doll-eye, or natural look.
- Thickness: Determine the diameter of the extension based on the natural eyelash’s diameter and its weight-bearing capacity. With flat extensions, you can use a slightly thicker diameter than the client’s lashes would typically accommodate. However, it’s important to exercise caution and avoid applying extensions much wider than the client’s lashes, even if they are lightweight.
Applying Flat Lash Extensions
The process of applying flat lash extensions is nearly identical to applying any classic set. The only difference is that flat extensions adhere only to the top or bottom of the lashes due to their flat base, eliminating sideways applications. All you need is the right technique and precision.
To get a visual understanding of applying these ellipse lashes, check out this video from Yoyis Lash&Beauty demonstrating just how simple and effective it is.
Can I reuse flat eyelash extensions?
No, it’s not recommended to reuse any lash extensions, including flat ones. Lash extensions are intended for a single use to maintain hygiene and prevent any potential eye infections.
Are flat eyelash extensions suitable for everyone?
Absolutely! Flat eyelash extensions are versatile and can be tailored to suit different eye shapes and lash types. However, it’s always best to consult with a lash professional to determine the most suitable option for your specific needs.
In conclusion, flat eyelash extensions offer a fantastic alternative for clients seeking a dramatic look with enhanced lash density. With their lightweight and unique construction, flat lashes provide numerous benefits that set them apart from classic extensions. By following the proper application techniques and selecting the appropriate lash sizes, you can achieve stunning results. Stay ahead of the game and explore the world of flat eyelash extensions — your clients will thank you!