Trader Joe’s Steamed Chicken Soup Dumplings are a culinary treasure that should have a permanent place in your freezer. These savory dumplings are not only a favorite of my daughter, but they have also captured my taste buds with their delightful flavors. While they are close to perfection, there’s one small thing missing from these delectable dumplings!
Calories and Ingredients
Before we delve into the missing ingredient, let’s explore what you’ll find in each box of these mouthwatering dumplings.
Each box contains 6 dumplings, which is considered a single serving. Here’s a breakdown of the nutritional content per serving:
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 7g (11% DV)
- Cholesterol: 45mg (15% DV)
- Sodium: 610mg (25% DV)
- Carbohydrates: 29g (10% DV)
- Protein: 16g
The dumplings are crafted with a carefully selected blend of ingredients:
- Filling: Chicken, Water, Onion, Green onion, Soy sauce, Ginger, Gelatin, Sugar, Rice wine, Sesame oil, Soybean oil, Salt, Yeast extract, White pepper
- Dough: Wheat flour, Water, Tapioca starch, Salt, Soybean oil
How to Cook
Preparing these dumplings is a breeze. Simply follow these instructions:
- Remove the tray from the box.
- Cut a slit in one end of the plastic wrap to allow steam to vent.
- Microwave on High for 1.5-2 minutes.
- Let them stand for 1 minute.
- Remove the tray from the plastic wrap and savor the deliciousness.
I followed these instructions, and the dumplings came out absolutely perfect!
Soup Dumplings Taste Test!
The taste of these dumplings is beyond compare. With each bite, the tender dough releases a gelatinous soup, creating a delightful burst of flavor. Prepare yourself to catch the hot liquid with a spoon or savor the rush of it in your mouth. The combination of chicken, green onion, and ginger is absolute perfection, resulting in a savory and satisfying flavor experience. These soup dumplings are a remarkable choice for a lunch that packs under 300 calories.
What is Missing from the Soup Dumplings?
When I opened the box and saw the tray holding the dumplings, I couldn’t help but notice the striking resemblance to the tray used by Bibigo for their steamed dumplings, which I often purchase at Costco. This similarity led me to suspect that Bibigo may be the manufacturer behind Trader Joe’s dumplings.
The tray’s design caught my attention, particularly the two diamonds that say “Sauce Here.” Bibigo’s version includes a sauce packet that you pour into these diamond-shaped compartments, evenly distributing the sauce among the six dumplings. Unfortunately, the Trader Joe’s dumplings do not come with this sauce packet. While the dumplings are delicious on their own, the sight of those diamonds left me craving that extra touch of flavor.
What to Serve with the Dumplings
Soup dumplings are a versatile dish that can serve as the main course or an appetizer in Chinese cuisine. To create a well-rounded meal, consider pairing them with these complementary dishes:
Pan-fried or stir-fried noodles, such as Chow Mein or Lo Mein, are fantastic side dishes that add texture and flavor to your meal. They perfectly complement the soup dumplings and create a delightful combination.
For a healthy and refreshing accompaniment, serve steamed vegetables like bok choy, broccoli, or Chinese greens. These vibrant greens provide a crisp contrast to the rich and juicy dumplings, balancing out the flavors beautifully.
Rice is a staple in Chinese cuisine and makes a wonderful side dish alongside soup dumplings. Steamed jasmine or basmati rice are simple and neutral options that can absorb the flavorful broth from the dumplings.
Dim Sum Platter
If you want to elevate your meal, consider serving a variety of other dim sum dishes alongside the soup dumplings. Dim sum consists of bite-sized portions of food, traditionally served in steamer baskets. Popular dim sum dishes like Shumai (steamed dumplings), Ha Gao (shrimp dumplings), and Char Siu Bao (barbecue pork buns) pair wonderfully with soup dumplings.
Enhance the flavors of the soup dumplings with dipping sauces. The traditional combination of soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil is a classic choice. For added depth and heat, try adding minced garlic, ginger, or chili paste. I personally enjoy using Bachan’s Japanese BBQ Sauce as a dipping sauce for these dumplings!
Since soup dumplings are known for their juicy broth, consider serving a light soup alongside them. Hot and sour soup, egg drop soup, or chicken corn soup are all excellent options that complement the dumplings and create a satisfying meal.
How Much do the Dumplings Cost?
Trader Joe’s offers the steamed chicken soup dumplings for $2.99 per box, amounting to approximately $0.50 per dumpling. While slightly pricier than the ones you can find at Costco ($0.346 per dumpling), these dumplings are reasonably priced, especially considering the convenience of single-serving portions.
Some Interesting Facts About the Soup Dumplings
I was so captivated by these dumplings that I decided to dig deeper and learn more about them. Here are a few fascinating tidbits that you might find interesting:
- Soup Dumplings, also known as Xiao Long Bao, originated in Shanghai as a traditional Chinese dish. They feature a thin, delicate wrapper filled with minced meat (typically pork) and a flavorful broth that transforms into soup when cooked.
- These dumplings provide an easy way to savor the authentic taste of Xiao Long Bao at home, without the need for scratch-made or expensive restaurant options.
- Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings do not contain any MSG (monosodium glutamate), a common ingredient found in many Asian foods. While some appreciate the absence of MSG due to health concerns, others miss the authentic flavor that it imparts to Xiao Long Bao.
- Due to their popularity, these soup dumplings tend to sell out quickly. They are also a seasonal item and may not be available year-round at all Trader Joe’s locations. So, if you come across them in your local store, it’s a good idea to stock up your freezer with a couple of boxes!
Now that you’re armed with the knowledge of these delectable soup dumplings, head to Trader Joe’s and experience the culinary delight they have to offer. Don’t miss out on this budget-friendly and utterly satisfying treat!
Feel free to visit Ekilove for more amazing recipes and food inspiration.