Mildly sweet with sharp, cheesy parmesan, my low-calorie air fryer spaghetti squash features a classic flavor combination!
Making spaghetti squash for a delicious low-calorie dish has been wildly popular for the past decade or so. And of all the ways I’ve prepared it, air fryer spaghetti squash is definitely the best!
This is a flavorful, tender air fried spaghetti squash recipe that you can use with any combination of sauces and seasonings. I have my own recommendations in this post, but you can get so creative and make it exactly as you’d like. And with the air fryer, you’re not pushing around soggy, watery “noodles” – the texture is fantastic.
When it’s in season, there are so many ways to enjoy squash! Acorn and butternut round out my top three favorite ones to make in the air fryer. (And have you tried mac and cheese stuffed in an acorn squash? It’s unbelievable!)
How to Make Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees.
STEP TWO: Slice the ends off of the squash with a sharp knife and halve it lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon or melon baller.
Baste a tablespoon or two of oil on the tops and middle of the squash.
STEP THREE: Put both halves in the air fryer basket side by side – if you need to trim the sides of the squash to make it fit, do so.
STEP FOUR: Air fry the spaghetti squash for 25 to 30 minutes until fork tender.
STEP FIVE: Remove the air fryer spaghetti squash from the basket and transfer to a plate. Season with salt and black pepper, then gently scrape the sides to release the spaghetti-like strands. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese overtop and mix.
STEP SIX: Serve right away and enjoy!
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Air Fryer
First choose a good squash – one that’s firm with no soft spots, a bright yellow color, with the stem attached, and with no apparent cracks or blemishes.
Your squash is done cooking when it’s easily pierced with a fork and when the flesh is easily combed into long strands.
Finally, know that you don’t need to overload the seasonings to enjoyit! It has a naturally nutty, delicately sweet flavor. A conservative amount of salt, pepper, and any other seasoning of your choice will highlight the taste and make for a healthy, satisfying meal.
Tips for Preparing Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- Those who are worried about watery noodles can sprinkle salt onto the halved squash ahead of time to help draw out some of that moisture. Wipe off the excess salt before you air fry the spaghetti squash.
- Make sure your squash halves are the same size so that they cook evenly in the fryer.
- If you’re wondering how to cook spaghetti squash in the air fryer whole: increase the temperature to 400 degrees and cook for 40 minutes until easily pierced by a fork. Note: this is only possible with a large air fryer – ideally an air fryer oven.
How Long to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Air Fryer
It takes a total of 30 minutes to air fry spaghetti squash. Depending on the size of the squash and model of the fryer, this can vary. Generally, the spaghetti squash is in the air fryer for 25 to 30 minutes.
Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash Variations
- A dab of tomato sauce in this recipe is a great finishing touch that goes really well with the parmesan! Make it even cheesier with mozzarella cheese and create a perfect pizza-like flavor.
- A bit of heat from paprika, cayenne, or chili powder is a great match for the nutty sweetness of the squash! Fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley, and thyme would round that palette out well.
- Butter and garlic powder, or even minced garlic, make for a very aromatic, Italian-tasting dish.
Any of the above can be mixed and matched to suit your preferences. That’s what I love about air frying spaghetti squash – it’s a blank canvas!
What to Serve With Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- Air Fryer Pork Roast
- Garlic Bread in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Thin Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Tilapia
- Air Fryer Lamb Chops
How to Reheat Spaghetti Squash in the Air Fryer
Any leftovers should be refrigerated in an airtight container. Properly stored, they’ll last for up to a week.
- Preheat the fryer to a slightly lower temperature, 350 degrees.
- Air fry the spaghetti squash for 3 to 4 minutes, or just 2 to 3 if you’re only reheating the strands.
More Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Air Fried Blooming Onion
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
More Squash Recipes
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer Squash and Zucchini
- Air Fryer Summer Squash
- Air Fryer Acorn Squash
- 5 Ingredient Squash Casserole
- Roasted Acorn Squash
- Maple Roasted Acorn Squash
- Chicken Spaghetti Squash
Love air frying? Join our newsletter! You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or join our free Facebook Air Frying Community.
Air Fryer Weight Watcher Points per serving: 2