Have you ever craved a mouth-watering porchetta sandwich but dreaded the laborious process of making it? Well, fear not! I have a quick and simple recipe that will satisfy your cravings without keeping you tied to the kitchen for hours. Get ready to indulge in the delectable flavors of a mini porchetta roll sandwich that is sure to delight your taste buds.
The Allure of Porchetta
Let me take you back to my first encounter with porchetta. It was a soft bun filled with chopped porchetta, skin cracklings, and a generous drizzle of wholegrain mustard seeds. The taste was divine, and I instantly fell in love. Since then, the obsession has only grown, especially after trying their fried chicken sandwich. However, creating a traditional porchetta seemed daunting and time-consuming, until now.
Here’s How It’s Done
Creating a mini porchetta is easier than you think. Let me break it down for you:
Prepare the seasoning. Toast fennel seeds and black peppercorns until fragrant. Crush them using a mortar and pestle, then combine with chopped herbs, such as thyme and sage, and olive oil.
Dress the pork belly and roll it up. Spread the seasoning mixture onto the scored pork belly, add sliced garlic into the crevices, and sprinkle with salt. Roll it tightly and secure with kitchen twine.
Create a resting spot for the pork belly. Place halved onions or any root vegetables in a deep baking pan. These will elevate the pork belly and prevent burning.
Let the oven work its magic. Bake the porchetta in the preheated oven until the internal temperature reaches 145°F. Then, switch to low broil for a minute to achieve a golden finish.
Rest, slice, and admire. Allow the porchetta to rest for 20 minutes before removing the twine and slicing it. Marvel at the beautiful layers of tender meat and crispy skin.
Now that your mini porchetta is ready, it’s time to assemble the ultimate sandwich.
Elevate Your Sandwich Game
Why settle for ordinary when you can level up your porchetta sandwich experience? Here’s how to make it unforgettable:
Porchetta, but make it mini. This recipe yields six delicious slices, perfect to satisfy your pork belly cravings without overwhelming your palate.
Elevate with onions to avoid burning. Use onions or any root vegetables to create a flavorful bed for your porchetta. They not only add depth to the taste but also protect the meat from drying out.
Use a deep oven tray for extra flavor. Let the pork fat work its magic by roasting vegetables alongside the porchetta. The result? Tender veggies infused with the rich, savory essence of the pork.
Caramelized onions: the perfect condiment. Enhance your sandwich with caramelized onions that double up as a delectable condiment. The combination of sweet, savory, and tangy flavors will elevate your porchetta to new heights.
The art of sandwich making. Balance the richness of the porchetta with a teaspoon of horseradish and dijon mustard. Choose a bun that toasts well, creating an airy and soft texture for the perfect bite.
Plan ahead and portion the porchetta slices. Use kitchen twine to create indentations and guide your slicing process. This simple trick ensures equal-sized portions and makes serving a breeze.
With these tips and tricks, you’ll create a porchetta sandwich that will have your taste buds singing with joy.
Reference to twine guide lines – perfect for cutting.
The first slice.
Now that you’re armed with the knowledge to create a tantalizing mini porchetta roll sandwich, it’s time to gather your ingredients and get cooking!
- 1 kg Pork Belly (roughly 7 x 12 inches)
- 2 Onions, sliced in half
- ½ tsp Fennel Seeds
- ½ tsp Black Peppercorns, whole
- ½ tsp of two Herbs of your choice (Thyme, Sage, and/or Rosemary)
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Garlic Cloves, sliced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
Pork Skin Rub
- 1 tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Baking Powder
Sandwich (per serving)
- 1 tsp Mustard of choice
- 1 tsp Horseradish
Make the seasoning.
- Remove the pork belly from the fridge and let it reach room temperature. Pat it dry if necessary.
- Toast the black peppercorns and fennel seeds until aromatic. Crush them using a mortar and pestle.
- Combine the crushed seasonings with chopped herbs (thyme, sage), and olive oil. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
Make the porchetta.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the pork belly on a cutting board, skin-side down.
- Score the flesh lengthwise, 1cm apart, using a sharp chef’s knife.
- Spread the seasoning mixture onto the scored pork belly. Insert sliced garlic into the crevices and sprinkle with salt.
- Roll the pork belly tightly into a log shape and secure it with kitchen twine.
- Rub the mixture of salt and baking powder over the skin of the pork belly roll.
- Arrange halved onions in a deep baking pan, ensuring they create an even surface for the pork belly to rest on.
- Place the pork belly onto the onions and bake in the preheated oven for up to 1.5 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F.
- Switch to low broil for 1 minute to achieve a beautiful golden hue. Keep a close eye to prevent burning.
- Remove the porchetta from the oven and let it rest for 20 minutes before slicing. Use the twine indents as a guide for perfect slices.
Make the porchetta sandwich.
- Toast the buns in the oven for 5 minutes under the broil setting.
- Spread wholegrain mustard and horseradish on one side of the bread.
- Arrange caramelized onions, chop up the sliced porchetta further, and add it to the sandwich.
- Place the top bun and sink your teeth into porchetta perfection!
Place seasoning & garlic slices into scored crevices.
A snug porchetta roll, balanced on onions.
So, gather your friends or treat yourself to a delightful mini porchetta roll sandwich. This recipe serves as a testament to the fact that you don’t need to spend hours in the kitchen to create a masterpiece. Enjoy every bite of this succulent and flavorful sandwich, and remember to save some for later!
Serves: 4-6 | Cooking time: 1 hour, 40 minutes | Preparation time: 20 minutes
For more delicious recipes and food inspiration, visit Ekilove, where we believe that great food brings people closer together.