Are you looking for a delicious treat that you and your furry friend can enjoy together? Look no further than this Pumpkin Dog Cake! This lightly sweetened and dairy-free cake is perfect for celebrating your dog’s special day. Plus, it’s so tasty that even you won’t be able to resist taking a bite. Let’s dive into the recipe and all the reasons why this cake is a must-try!
A Heartwarming Recipe
This delightful dog cake recipe was inspired by the immensely popular mini dog birthday cake recipe. As I created this cake, I couldn’t help but think of my own furry companion, Layla. So, before we get into the nitty-gritty of the recipe, let me take a moment to express my gratitude to Layla and share a few things I appreciate about her.
Layla, my dear companion, happy 7th birthday! Thank you for the abundance of kisses you shower me with every day. Your need for affection is endearing, and I cherish every moment. You’ve taught me the value of friendliness and the joy of connecting with others, even if it’s just to talk about you. Whether it’s during Miguel’s absence or on any regular day, you’re always there to keep me company. You’re the best (and sometimes the most mischievous) assistant/co-worker I could ever ask for. Your energy compels me to take you on two walks every day, helping me stay active and ensuring I hit my daily step goals. And oh, the laughs you bring me with your adorable butt wiggles and daily antics. Lastly, I want to express my gratitude for your patience during this less-than-ideal photo shoot. You truly are the best.
Now let’s dive into what makes this dog cake so special:
- It’s a cake for both dogs and people, striking the perfect balance between sweetness and palatability.
- Made with pumpkin and sweetened with maple syrup, this cake is a delectable treat for your taste buds.
- The crowning touch is the simple Greek yogurt “frosting” that adds a creamy and tangy finish to the cake.
- This recipe can be made in three 4″ cake pans or one 6″ cake pan, making it easy to share with friends and family.
Here are a few key points about the ingredients:
- Flour: The recipe calls for all-purpose flour, but if you prefer a gluten-free option, you can use a 1:1 all-purpose gluten-free flour substitute.
- Oil: While coconut oil adds a touch of sweetness, you can use any oil of your choice in this recipe.
- Milk: Feel free to use your preferred type of milk, whether it’s almond milk or another variety.
- Pumpkin: Be sure to use canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix, to maintain the cake’s authenticity.
- Maple syrup: If you’re not a fan of maple syrup, you can substitute it with honey. Just remember that it’s essential for a people-friendly cake.
- Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is my top choice, but regular white vinegar will work as well.
- Yogurt: Opt for plain Greek yogurt or your favorite dairy-free alternative. For an extra special treat, consider covering half the cake in yogurt for your pup and the other half in a decadent buttercream icing for the human portion.
Let’s get baking! Here’s an overview of the steps involved:
Step 1: Whisk Wet Ingredients
Begin by melting coconut oil and allowing it to cool to room temperature. Whisk together the milk, pumpkin, maple syrup, and vinegar, then add the cooled coconut oil.
Step 2: Stir Dry Ingredients
In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t worry if the batter is slightly lumpy—it adds character!
Step 3: Bake
Grease your cake pan(s) and evenly distribute the batter. If you’re using 4″ pans, bake for 27-32 minutes. For a 6″ pan, extend the baking time to about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack.
Step 4: Make the Icing
In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt and maple syrup. For a flat top, you can trim the “dome” of the cake before spreading the icing. Slice and savor the delectable results!
Tips and Tricks
To enhance your baking experience, consider these tips and tricks:
- Icing Options: You have several choices for the icing:
- Follow the original recipe for the Greek yogurt frosting.
- Indulge your taste buds by covering half the cake with Greek yogurt frosting and the other half with a delectable buttercream icing.
- For a nutty twist, add 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter to the frosting.
- To prevent your cake from sticking, line the cake pan(s) with parchment paper.
- If you’re using 4″ pans, place them on a baking sheet to prevent any potential spills.
Is this Cake Truly Delicious for Humans Too?
Absolutely! I pinky promise that this cake is a treat for both you and your pup. While it may not be as sweet as a regular cake, it still boasts a flavorful profile that will satisfy your cravings. For an extra touch of yumminess, you can explore the icing options mentioned above.
Can I Make This Cake in Advance?
Certainly! Follow the recipe as usual, allowing the cake to cool to room temperature. Then, individually wrap each cake layer in plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to serve, ice the cake and enjoy!
Explore More Delectable Cake Recipes (For Humans Only)
If you’re looking for more cake recipes to indulge in, don’t miss these popular options:
- Almond Flour Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Vanilla Cake
- Vegan Carrot Cake
So, whether you’re celebrating your pup’s special day or simply enjoying a delightful baking session, this Pumpkin Dog Cake is a must-try treat for everyone involved. Give it a go, share the joy, and don’t forget to let me know how it turns out! Tag me @thealmondeater on Instagram for a chance to be featured. Happy baking!
This article was brought to you by Ekilove.