A Quick and Versatile Side Dish
Instant Pot Potatoes and Carrots is a versatile and simple side dish recipe that cooks to tender perfection in just minutes. It’s easy to make flavorful potatoes and carrots in the Instant Pot with just a few basic ingredients.
My Instant Pot has been a complete time saver when it comes to main dish recipes like Instant Pot Beef Stew, an all-inclusive recipe that’s loaded with meat, potatoes, carrots, and a flavorful gravy. But sometimes, I need a hearty side dish that’s versatile, tastes great, and cooks quickly, and can be served with just about any dinner.
And who doesn’t love tender potatoes and sweet carrots?
A Burst of Flavor
Pressure cooker potatoes and carrots are loaded with flavor, thanks to the addition of garlic and Italian seasoning. Serve them with roasted chicken, Instant Pot pork chops, roast beef, hamburgers, slow cooker country-style ribs, as a side dish for sloppy joes, or almost any other favorite main dish.
The best part of this recipe is that you can cook potatoes and carrots together at the same time in the Instant Pot, in just 5 minutes. Add in the time it takes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure, and they will still be finished and on the table faster than you can boil a pot of water.
Tips for Perfect Pressure Cooker Potatoes and Carrots
This recipe really couldn’t be any easier. These tips will make sure you get perfect potatoes and carrots every single time.
- Wash and cut your veggies the night before cooking to save you even more time in the kitchen.
- Sauté the onions and carrots for a few minutes to give them a head start on the cooking process.
- Cut your veggies into similar-sized pieces. You want larger-sized chunks of carrots that are comparable to your smallest potatoes. Cut any larger potatoes as needed.
- You can easily cut this Instant Pot recipe in half for a smaller serving or double it to serve more. Keep the liquid at one cup and keep the same cooking time.
- If you prefer, you can cook the potatoes and carrots in a steamer basket, but I like to have them coated with the herbs and liquid.
How to Make Instant Pot Potatoes and Carrots
It’s really easy to make potatoes and carrots in the Instant Pot.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Baby Yellow Potatoes
- Italian Seasoning
- Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make It:
Sauté the Veggies. First, you’ll set the Instant Pot to sauté and heat the oil. Sauté the onions and carrots for 2-3 minutes until the onions soften and become translucent. Turn off the heat and stir in the garlic.
Add Potatoes and Cook. Next, you’ll add the baby yellow potatoes and the Italian seasoning, stirring to coat well. Seal the lid and cook for 5 minutes at high pressure, followed by a 5-minute natural pressure release.
Serve. Last, you’ll perform a quick release of any remaining steam, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Notes and Adaptations:
- If you have a variety of sizes of potatoes, cut the larger ones in half to be about the same size as the smaller ones.
- You can substitute a different kind of potato, if desired. You may need to halve or quarter them, depending on their size. I like the creamy texture of baby potatoes for this recipe, but you could use russet potatoes as well.
For more delicious Instant Pot side dishes, check out our other recipes:
- Southern Style Instant Pot Green Beans
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce
- Easy Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes
- Instant Pot Wild Rice
- Instant Pot Acorn Squash
Enjoy this easy and flavorful Instant Pot Potatoes and Carrots recipe, and make it a staple at your dinner table! For more great recipes and cooking inspiration, visit Ekilove.