Preparing a Tri Tip roast in your instant pot is an easy way to make a delicious meal your entire family will love with way less cooking time than other methods.
Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links.
As much as I love my slow cooker, I’ve become an Instant Pot convert. There is usually no need to prep the night before with an instant pot recipe. You can just take your meat out of the freezer before work in the morning, let it defrost during the day, and let it work its magic while you prepare your side dishes, set the table, and enjoy a glass of red wine. 🙂
This easy recipe for tri-tip takes minimal effort, and the meat can be served in various ways.
What is a Tri-Tip
Tri tip is a cut of beef that comes from a crescent-shaped muscle on the bottom of the sirloin. It generally has excellent marbling, is full of beefy flavor, and is more economical than some other cuts of beef. It’s easily distinguishable by its triangular shape and is often cut into a tri-tip steak that is great for grilling.
This cut of meat is originally from California and is sometimes known as “Santa Maria Steak,” after the town that made the roast famous at an annual bbq festival. Today, it’s readily available at the grocery store and becomes very tender when cooked in an electric pressure cooker.
What You’ll Need to Make Instant Pot Tri Tip
- 2.5 – 3 pounds tri-tip beef roast
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of dry rub or seasoning blend of your preference
How to Make Instant Pot Tri Tip Roast
- Begin by massaging the dry rub or seasoning mix plus the salt and pepper into the roast.
- Turn the saute function on your Instant Pot and sear the meat for about a minute on each side. Remove the meat from the pressure cooker once you’re done searing it.
- Place your instant pot trivet (or this amazing sling) in the bottom of the pot. Place the tri tip on the trivet.
- Add the onion and garlic to the bottom of the pot. Pour the beef broth over the tri-tip.
- Place the lid on the pot and make sure the valve is closed.
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure and use the manual button to set the cook time to 25 minutes.
- Perform a quick release on the instant pot when the timer goes off.
- Once it is safe to remove the lid, carefully remove the meat to a cutting board. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes and then slice or shred it for serving.
How to Serve Tri-Tip Roast
- For a hearty meal, cut it into slices and serve with potatoes, a delicious gravy, veggies, and a crusty loaf of bread.
- My favorite way to eat this triangle tip roast is on a crusty roll and topped with tangy bbq sauce.
- You can shred it and use it in place of ground beef for tacos or in fajitas.
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love
- Quick & Easy Instant Pot Crab Legs Recipe
- Easy Instant Pot Beef Pepper Steak
- Instant Pot Greek Chicken with Orzo
- Family-Friendly Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wraps
- Everyone’s Favorite – Instant Pot Parmesan Balsamic Pork Roast
- Easy Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage Meal
- How to Cook a Frozen Chicken in Your Instant Pot
- Quick and Easy Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Cozy Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Best Ever Instant Pot Green Enchilada Chicken Soup
- Game Day 4-Ingredient Instant Pot Chicago Style Italian Beef