Are you tired of under-cooked sweet potatoes or spending too much time waiting for them to bake? Look no further! Instant Pot sweet potatoes are here to save the day. With this fail-proof method, you’ll have perfectly creamy sweet potatoes in no time. Say goodbye to guesswork and hello to convenience!
Measure the Width of Your Sweet Potatoes
One size does not fit all when it comes to sweet potatoes. The cooking time depends on the width of your sweet potatoes. After testing dozens of sweet potatoes, I’ve developed a formula for perfect results:
- Small (2 inches or less in width): 15 minutes + 10-minute natural pressure release.
- Medium (2-3 inches in width): 30 minutes + 10-minute natural pressure release.
- Large (3-4 inches in width): 60 minutes* + 10-minute natural pressure release.
*Honestly, for those gargantuan sweet potatoes, it’s better to cut them into cubes for faster cooking.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Now that you know the cooking times, here’s a step-by-step guide to achieving those perfect sweet potatoes:
- Measure (or estimate) the width of your sweet potatoes.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and prick them with a fork 4-5 times.
- Place 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot insert (or 1.5 cups for an 8-quart Instant Pot) and place the trivet on top.
- Arrange your sweet potatoes on the trivet.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to ‘sealing’. Pressure cook for the time indicated based on the width of your sweet potatoes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then carefully release the remaining pressure.
Ta-da! Perfectly cooked sweet potatoes are ready to be enjoyed.
Which Instant Pot Works the Best?
You can use a 6 or 8-quart Instant Pot to cook sweet potatoes without adjusting the cooking time. The only difference is the amount of water you add to the pot:
- Add 1 cup of water to a 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Add 1.5 cups of water to an 8-quart Instant Pot.
Please note that I haven’t tested this method with a mini Instant Pot, so I can’t guarantee it will work. If you’ve tried it, please leave a comment below and let us know how it worked for you.
Q: Can I use these cook times for regular potatoes?
A: No, regular potatoes require a different cook time. Check out our post on Instant Pot Baked Potatoes for more information.
Q: Can I stack the sweet potatoes, or do they need to be in a single layer?
A: While I tested with a single layer, you should be able to stack them without adjusting the cook time. If you find that your sweet potatoes need more cooking time, simply put the lid back on, add more time, and the pot will come back to pressure quickly.
Q: Is it better to use the ‘steam’ or the ‘manual’ setting to cook sweet potatoes?
A: Both settings work fine. The ‘steam’ setting cooks from full power right away, assuming there is only water in the Instant Pot, reducing the risk of burning food in contact with the base.
Wondering How to Use Up Your Sweet Potatoes?
Once you’ve cooked your sweet potatoes with the Instant Pot, the possibilities are endless. Here are some delicious recipes to try:
- Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Smoky Sweet Potato Hummus
- Freezer Sweet Potato Taquitos
- Freezer Sweet Potato Waffles
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
More Instant Pot Recipes
Looking for more Instant Pot inspiration? Check out these recipes:
- 7 Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- Instant Pot Chickpeas
Don’t forget to visit Ekilove for more cooking tips, recipes, and valuable content.
Now that you know the secrets to perfect Instant Pot sweet potatoes, it’s time to enjoy this tasty and versatile side dish. Happy cooking!