If you’re looking for a quick and easy side dish that bursts with bold umami flavors, look no further than Korean Fish Cake Stir Fry. This popular dish is a staple in Korean cuisine, and it pairs perfectly with steamed rice for a satisfying weeknight meal. In this article, we will explore the magic of Korean fish cakes and learn how to make this delicious dish at home.
What are Korean fish cakes?
Korean fish cakes, also known as Eomuk Bokkeum, are a beloved side dish in Korean cuisine. Made from pureed fish that is formed into cakes or strips and fried until golden, these fish cakes are incredibly versatile and can be found in a variety of Korean dishes like Tteokbokki, Kimbap, and Rabokki. However, the most popular way to enjoy them is in the form of Eomuk Bokkeum.
Loaded with mouthwatering umami flavors, this stir-fried dish is a delightful accompaniment to rice, kimchi, and other Korean dishes. It’s a perfect option for a quick and effortless weeknight meal that doesn’t compromise on taste.
What do I need to make Eomuk Bokkeum?
One of the reasons why Eomuk Bokkeum is so popular is its simplicity. You only need a handful of ingredients to whip up this flavorful dish. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Korean fish cake (Eomuk): These can be found in the frozen section of Korean grocery stores. Opt for the thin rectangular shape for the best results. If you can’t find them, you can use any type of fish cake and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Cooking oil: To stir-fry the fish cakes.
- Onion, garlic, green onion: These aromatic ingredients add depth to the dish. Feel free to add other vegetables like carrot, bell pepper, or zucchini if you prefer more variety.
- Soy sauce, honey, and Gochugaru (Korean chili flakes): These make up the flavorful sauce. Adjust the amount of Gochugaru according to your spice preference.
- Sesame oil and sesame seeds: For garnish and added nutty flavor.
That’s it! With these basic ingredients, you can create your very own Eomuk Bokkeum that is bursting with authentic Korean flavors.
How long do Korean fish cakes last?
If you have leftovers, don’t worry! Stored in an airtight container, stir-fried fish cakes can last up to 3-4 days in the fridge. This makes them a convenient option for meal prepping or enjoying the dish over multiple days. As for the fish cakes themselves, they can be kept in the freezer for up to 6-9 months or as specified on the expiry date.
Fish cakes are not only delicious but also a great protein alternative for various stir-fried recipes like Yaki Udon, Kimchi Udon, or Japchae. They can be prepared in just a few seconds by soaking them in hot water, making them a quick and easy protein option compared to other meats or seafood.
Enjoy the Flavorful Delights of Korean Fish Cake Stir Fry
I hope you give this easy and delicious Korean fish cake recipe a try. It’s perfect for those busy weeknights when you want a satisfying meal without spending hours in the kitchen. If you have any questions or need further guidance, feel free to leave a comment below or reach out to me on Instagram. Happy cooking, everyone! ツ゚
Other Easy Korean Recipes You May Like
- Korean Braised Tofu (Dubu Jorim)
- Gamja Jorim (Korean Braised Potatoes)
- Soondubu Jjigae (Korean Soft Tofu Stew)
- Korean Cucumber Salad (Oi Muchim)
- 5-Minute Silken Tofu (Soft Tofu)