If you’re a fan of seafood, then you’re in for a treat with this easy and mouthwatering Mahi Mahi recipe. Mahi Mahi, also known as Dorado, is a popular fish with its tender and flavorful meat. And when paired with a sensational lemon garlic butter sauce, it becomes an irresistible dish.
Watch us make this Recipe
Bringing Restaurant Quality Fish to Your Home
Growing up, my family regularly enjoyed fish for dinner. Whether it was whole fish or fillets, my parents knew how to cook fish in various ways. From this experience, I realized that not everyone has found their perfect fish recipe yet. But don’t worry, because this easy Mahi Mahi recipe is here to save the day. It only takes about 20 minutes to make, and the result is incredibly tender and flavorful. You’ll be amazed at how you can create a restaurant-quality dish right in your own kitchen.
What is Mahi Mahi?
Mahi Mahi, also known as dolphinfish or dorado, is a surface dwelling fish that can be found in the Gulf of Mexico, Costa Rica, Hawaii, and the Indian Ocean. Despite its name, it is not related to dolphins at all. Mahi Mahi is loved for its mild flavor and firm yet moist flesh, making it a popular choice for restaurants worldwide.
To make this Mahi Mahi recipe, you’ll need the following key ingredients:
- Olive Oil: For the best flavor and a healthy boost.
- Mahi Mahi: Look for fillets that are 1-inch thick and approximately 4oz each.
- Garlic: Plenty of freshly minced garlic adds fantastic flavor.
- Lemon: Use fresh lemon zest and juice for a tangy kick.
- Butter: Salted pure butter is preferred for its richness.
- Herbs: Freshly chopped chives or parsley add the perfect finishing touch.
To achieve the perfect Mahi Mahi, we’ll be using the stovetop-to-oven method, which ensures a nicely browned exterior and a tender, flaky center.
- Prepare the lemon garlic mixture by combining all the ingredients in a small pan. Stir well and keep it warm.
- Pat-dry the fish fillets with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Season both sides with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large oven-proof pan over high heat. Once the oil is sizzling hot, add the fish fillets and cook for about 3 minutes on one side without moving them. Flip the fillets over, turn off the stove burner, and immediately transfer the pan to a preheated oven.
- Roast the fish at 400F for approximately 5 minutes until the top is golden and the center is just cooked through. Take care not to overcook.
- Turn off the heat and pour the warm lemon butter sauce over the cooked fish.
For the complete list of ingredients and detailed instructions, check the recipe card below.
Pro Tips for Success
Here are some helpful tips to guarantee your Mahi Mahi turns out perfectly:
- Use super fresh or quick-frozen, high-quality Mahi Mahi for the best flavor.
- Make sure the fillets are at least 1-inch thick to prevent overcooking and maintain the right seasoning proportions.
- Pat dry excess moisture from the fish to ensure a nicely browned exterior.
- Heat your cooking oil until it’s sizzling hot before adding the fish to achieve quick and even browning.
- Once the fish is in the pan, resist the temptation to keep moving it around. Let it sit and brown for 3 minutes.
- Preheat your oven ahead of time so that it’s hot when you transfer the Mahi Mahi from the stovetop.
- The lemon butter sauce can be prepared in advance and reheated when needed.
What to Serve with Mahi Mahi
This Mahi Mahi dish is perfect for quick weeknight dinners or even small dinner parties. Impress your friends with restaurant-quality fish that you made yourself. Here are some delicious sides to accompany your Mahi Mahi:
- Perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Instant Pot Jasmine Rice
- Wild Rice Pilaf
- Easy Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms
- 20-Minute Lemon Spinach Orzo Salad
- Best Easy Roasted Vegetables Recipe
- 21 Best Salad Recipes
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes with Lemon
- Instant Pot Baby Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (5 Ingredients)
This recipe is part of our easy fish recipes collection.
For more amazing recipes, visit Ekilove. Try this Mahi Mahi recipe and let us know how it turns out. Bon appétit!