This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Are you tired of rice always falling short of your expectations? Do you want to learn how to cook rice perfectly each time without the need for a rice cooker or pressure cooker? Well, you’ve come to the right place! In this complete guide, I will walk you through the steps to cook rice flawlessly on your stove. Get ready to impress your family and elevate your meals!
A Versatile Side Dish
Cooking white rice is an essential skill that I was determined to master, learning from my mom. It has become a staple in my household, accompanying various Lebanese dishes. The beauty of white rice lies in its versatility, complementing a wide range of recipes. Now, I’m excited to share with you the perfect way to prepare rice for your loved ones!
A Step-by-Step Guide
Does the thought of serving rice with a meal intimidate you? Fear not! I will guide you through the simple steps that guarantee delicious rice every time. No more disappointments! Let’s dive into the world of rice cooking.
Different Rice Varieties
Before we proceed, let’s explore the various types of white rice. In this tutorial, we will be using long-grain white rice, which is the most popular variety in the country. Its elongated grains are approximately five times longer than their width. However, you can experiment with other options, such as instant or quick rice, jasmine rice with its delightful fragrance, or basmati rice with its nutty undertones.
Stove Cooking Instructions
Now, let’s get to the heart of the matter: cooking rice on the stove. Here’s what you need to do:
- Measure one cup of long-grain white rice and level it off. This amount is sufficient for two to three adult servings (or two adults and two small children). The recipe is proportionate, always using one part rice to two parts water. Adjust accordingly based on the number of people you are serving.
- Before cooking, rinse the rice thoroughly in a fine-mesh sieve under cold water until the water runs clear. This step removes excess starch that can make the rice sticky, ensuring perfect results.
- Place the rinsed rice in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add a little less than twice as much cold water as rice, which amounts to a little less than two cups. You can also add salt to taste, using half a teaspoon per cup of rice.
- Without covering the pot, bring the water to a boil. Stir the rice gently to distribute it evenly, but be careful not to overdo it.
Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the rice cook for 18 minutes. Avoid the temptation to lift the cover and check on the rice during this time, as it can affect the texture by allowing heat and steam to escape.
Once the cooking time is up, remove the pot from the heat. Let the rice sit, covered, for at least five minutes. This step is crucial for the final touches of perfection.
Finally, remove the cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Voila! You’ve just learned how to cook rice like a pro.
Recipes to Pair with White Rice
Now that you’ve mastered the art of cooking rice, it’s time to explore the possibilities. Here are some mouthwatering recipes that pair perfectly with white rice:
- Almond Chicken Cutlets
- Cauliflower Curry
- Quick Butter Chicken
- Harissa Chicken
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- West African Peanut Soup
- Lemon Herb Shrimp Stir Fry
- Red Lentil Curry
- Panko Crusted Salmon
- Beef Stuffed Peppers
Frequently Asked Questions
To ensure your rice always turns out perfectly, remember these two important steps: rinse before cooking and allow it to steam off the heat. Just like quality bread, delightful rice takes your meal to the next level. It’s fascinating to think that people have been cooking rice for over 8,000 years, and now you have the knowledge to join the ranks of experienced chefs.
For More Cooking Resources
If you enjoyed this guide on how to cook rice, you may also find the following cooking resources helpful:
- How to Cook Brown Rice
- How to Cook Quinoa Perfectly
- How to Cook Chickpeas
- How to Cook Oatmeal
- How to Make Broccoli Rice
If you found this cooking resource valuable or tried any recipe from FeelGoodFoodie, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience with this technique. And if you took some mouthwatering photos, share them with me on Instagram so I can repost them on my stories!
Photo Credit: Erin Jensen
Remember, the key to perfect rice lies in mastering the art of cooking it. With these step-by-step instructions, you’re well on your way to becoming a rice-cooking expert. So, gather your ingredients, follow the recipe, and savor the joy of serving a perfectly cooked bowl of rice!