Do you want to learn how to cook chicken gizzards in a way that will make them tender and mouthwatering? Look no further! In this article, we will explore the secrets to turning these unappetizing pieces into a delicacy. You might even be able to fool your kids into thinking they’re just regular chicken!
The Magic of Chicken Gizzards
Chicken gizzards often get overlooked, but they are a hidden gem in the culinary world. While each whole chicken only has one gizzard, you can easily find them in bulk. They are incredibly affordable and make for a quick and easy chicken recipe that will leave you craving more.
Tenderizing the Gizzards
To ensure your chicken gizzards are tender and flavorful, they need a little bit of preparation. Just like liver, they require some extra care before cooking. The good news is that you probably already have everything you need at home.
Start by filling a bowl with cool water and adding some salt. Stir the mixture well to evenly distribute the salt and let it sit for about 2 hours. This soaking process will help to loosen up the gizzards and improve their texture. Trust me, it’s worth the extra step!
After the soaking, make sure to drain and rinse the gizzards before moving on to the next steps. Whether you want to bread and deep-fry them, sauté them with butter, or serve them as is, boiling is the next important step. You can use your own onion gravy recipe or try the easy option I’ve included below.
Chicken Gizzards for Your Furry Friend
If you’re here because you want to prepare chicken gizzards for your furry friend, you can skip the gravy entirely. Simply follow the soaking and boiling steps. Once they’re cooked, let them cool to room temperature before giving them to your dog. Make sure to freeze any leftovers in a freezer bag in the fridge.
Ingredients for the Gravy
- Bag of chicken gizzards
- Salt and water for soaking
- Chicken broth
- Cornstarch or flour to thicken
- Minced garlic
- Optional: cayenne pepper or hot sauce for heat
Season the gizzards with salt and pepper to taste and adjust as needed. They make a perfect protein-packed side dish that will satisfy your cravings.
How Long to Boil Chicken Gizzards
To achieve the perfect texture, you’ll need to boil the gizzards for about 30 minutes over low heat. This cooking time is suitable for 1.5 pounds of gizzards, so if you’re cooking a larger batch, you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly. Test them along the way to see if they are fork-tender.
Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Pour the gizzards into a large bowl and sprinkle them with salt. Mix them together.
- Fill the bowl with water and let the gizzards soak for 2 hours.
- Drain and rinse the gizzards thoroughly.
- Place the tender gizzards in a large saucepan filled with water (or a combination of water and chicken broth). Heat the pan to medium and bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
When the gizzards are done cooking, let them cool and dry on paper towels. If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to fried chicken gizzards, you can make them in an air fryer. Simply coat them with a seasoned flour mixture and “bake” them until golden brown. In less than 20 minutes, you’ll have a delicious snack. Alternatively, you can proceed to make the gravy below.
Making the Gravy
If you want to enjoy your chicken gizzards in a rich and flavorful gravy, follow these steps:
- While the gizzards are boiling, dice the onions and place them in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of butter. Sauté the onions until they become translucent and golden.
- Add the minced garlic and 2 tablespoons of butter to the saucepan. Allow the butter to melt.
- Sprinkle in flour or cornstarch and whisk the mixture well to prevent clumping. Continue whisking until you achieve a creamy thickening roux.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and chicken stock until the mixture becomes smooth. Add the cooked chicken gizzards.
- Bring the gravy to a simmer and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Season the gravy with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, or any other desired seasonings. Remove any bay leaves if used earlier. Serve and enjoy!
If you prefer a thinner sauce, feel free to add more broth or water to the mix.
Now that you know the secrets to cooking delicious chicken gizzards, it’s time to get cooking! Impress your friends and family with this unique and affordable dish. For more amazing recipes and tips, make sure to visit Ekilove. Happy cooking!