As a lash artist, I’ve noticed the rising popularity of using micellar water to clean eyelash extensions. While micellar water is renowned for its effectiveness in facial cleansing, many people wonder if it is safe to use on lash extensions and if it affects the glue. In this article, I will address these questions and provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to properly clean your lashes using micellar water. Let’s dive in!
The Importance of Oil-Free Micellar Water
When considering using micellar water on your lash extensions, it is crucial to carefully examine the ingredient list and ensure that it does not contain any oils. Why is this important? Well, oils act as solvents and can gradually break down the lash adhesive, leading to premature shedding and a shorter lifespan for your extensions. So, keep reading as I’ll share the best oil-free micellar water for lash extensions later in this article.
What Is Micellar Water?
Micellar water, also known as soft water, is a versatile cleansing liquid composed of two essential ingredients: purified water and mild surfactants. When these surfactant molecules combine, they form microscopic spheres called micelles.
How Does Micellar Water Work?
Micelles work like magnets, attracting dirt and oil. When micelles come into contact with dirt and oil, they break them down and bind them to themselves. Even stubborn makeup easily melts away, leaving your skin clean and refreshed.
How to Properly Clean Eyelash Extensions with Micellar Water
Follow these simple steps to clean your eyelash extensions with micellar water:
- Get a soft, fluffy, and lint-free makeup brush to apply the micellar water gently to your eyelash extensions.
- Add a few drops of micellar water to the makeup brush and dab them onto different parts of your eyelashes with care.
- Gently stroke the micellar water into the eyelash extensions, both on top and from beneath. Avoid scrubbing or rubbing harshly, as it can cause your lash extensions to fall out prematurely. Also, refrain from tugging or snagging motions. Instead, use gentle up-and-down motions.
- Remove any residual makeup and excess micellar water with a lint-free paper towel. Avoid cotton balls or pads, as lint may get caught at the base of your extensions and create a mess.
- Cleanse your face with an oil-free cleanser, making sure to avoid your lashes.
- Rinse your face with cold water, being cautious not to directly splash water on your lashes. Cup your hands and gently wet your extensions.
- Apply a small amount of eyelash shampoo to your lashes using the makeup brush. Again, avoid rubbing and instead move the brush in an up-and-down motion.
- Rinse your eyelashes once more with cold water, avoiding direct streams.
- Dry your lashes by gently patting them with a lint-free towel.
That’s it! By following these steps daily, you can maintain clean lash extensions and enjoy better retention. For visual guidance, you can also check out Gabriella’s helpful YouTube video on how to clean eyelash extensions using micellar water.
Now, you might wonder why you still need to use eyelash shampoo after using micellar water. Well, the eyelash shampoo removes any residue left behind by the micellar water, ensuring a dirt-free and debris-free lash line. Additionally, it possesses antibacterial properties.
Can Micellar Water Remove Eyelash Glue?
It’s important to note that using an oil-infused micellar water can break down the adhesive on your lash extensions. Therefore, always avoid using such products. Now, you might be curious about the best oil-free micellar water options available.
Best Oil-Free Micellar Water for Lash Extensions
Here are some recommended oil-free micellar water brands for lash extensions:
- Garnier Micellar Water: The holy grail of micellar waters, Garnier oil-free micellar water (the pink one, not the yellow or blue options) is ideal for lash extensions. You can directly use it on eyelash extensions, even if you’re wearing eyeliner or mascara.
- Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Water: The original micellar water, loved by celebrities like Kourtney Kardashian, Sophie-Ellis, and Victoria Beckham. Bioderma Sensibio is an oil-free makeup remover suitable for sensitive skin. It’s a fragrance-free solution that effectively cleanses the skin without using oil.
- La Roche-Posay Micellar Cleansing: Specifically formulated for delicate skin, La Roche-Posay’s micellar water is alcohol-free, oil-free, and paraben-free.
While there may be other brands available, these are the ones I’ve personally tried and tested. Give them a try, and you won’t be disappointed!
Micellar Water vs. Baby Shampoo
In the past, many lash artists and individuals used baby shampoo for cleaning their extensions. However, it is no longer the most recommended choice. Baby shampoos often contain oils, fragrances, and other ingredients that can be damaging to lash extensions. As new products emerge, recommendations can evolve, and it’s essential to stay up-to-date. Brands like Stacy Lash, Lyon Lash, and Beau Lashes offer various oil and alcohol-free alternatives.
- Rachael Link (2020). 5 Benefits and Uses of Micellar Water. Retrieved from Healthline.
- Bioderma (2020). Bioderma About Us. Retrieved from Bioderma website.
Remember, properly cleaning your lash extensions with oil-free micellar water will help maintain their beauty and longevity. So go ahead, try these techniques, and enjoy clean and stunning lashes!